Monday, April 27, 2020

Tuesday, 4/28


I think I have my list ready.

With all the insanity that's been going on, I'm actually one of the lucky ones, even if I'm not going to Germany today as originally planned. I'm still healthy, I'm still working, and, if I had to guess, 80% of my lifestyle really hasn't changed. That's why I have put together the list, which I am calling--

The Stimulus List.

Like I said, I'm one of the lucky ones. I don't immediately need the $1,200 stimulus payment everyone's getting. I know there are so many people for whom it will be a a lifeline that I kind of wish I could give mine back. But I can't, so I'm gonna do the next best thing--

I'm actually going to use it for its intended purpose.

One of the ideas behind the money (aside from helping people eat, pay rent, or try not to drown under debt) was to help get the economy going again. So the list I have come up with is stuff I'm going to buy with the $1,200. If the idea is to get as much of the money back into the economy as possible, that's what I hope to do.

On the list is everything from new running shoes to a cool purple tea pot I saw in the window of a downtown Marquette store. Now, I've earmarked as many locally-owned, mom & pop places as humanly possible to get this stuff. After all, Amazon doesn't need my money, but places like Queen City Running, the Spice Merchants, and all the non-chain restaurants to which I usually go really do. It's been a hard month and a half for a lot of local businesses, and if I can drop $50 or $100 their way, especially as they're just re-opening, even for curbside pickup, it's the least I can do.

I'm hoping every little bit helps.

Like I said—I've been working (oh, have I been working) throughout this entire crisis. I don't necessarily need the $1,200. But if I can get some stuff for it while giving it to people who COULD use it; well, that seems like a win-win for everyone involved.

We'll see how it turns out!



No comments:

Post a Comment