Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Tuesday, 5/31

After over 33 years, today is my final day as an employee of Taconite Broadcasting.

I've been hinting over the past few weeks of changes that are happening around here, and this evening it becomes official—the station is being sold. Unlike many occasions where radio or TV stations are bought & sold, usually to big faceless corporations, we're lucky in that we're being picked up by the Keweenaw Bay Indian Community. They want to expand their presence in Marquette, and seeing as how they already own two radio stations in Baraga it seems like a perfect fit for them.

One of the great things is that they're buying the station to keep it just like it is, so if you're listening you shouldn't hear a change at all. Unless, of course, a change might be something we want and/or need.

And then that would be a good thing.

But this also means that for the first time in a third of a century (way over half of my entire life, actually) I will not be an employee of Taconite Broadcasting. From the first time I walked through the doors of the old studios in Ishpeming until the time I walk out of the doors in downtown Marquette tonight, I've worked for one company and one company only. I realize that's rare these days, and I also realize that I've been incredibly lucky in that time. Both Joe Blake and Tom Mogush have been great owners to work for, and they've made sure that we've had everything we need to become the station we are today.

I may not have said it a lot, but I have appreciated that over the past third of a century.

Tomorrow when you turn the station on you'll hear what you've been hearing since (it seems) the dawn of time. I myself will wake up as usual and stumble into work as usual. I guess this really will be one of those instances where the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Even if I'm not working for the same company any more.



So today marks the end of one adventure, and the beginning of another. I have high hopes; I also hope you enjoy the ride!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment