Thursday, May 26, 2022

Thursday, 5/26

To paraphrase a great American philosopher, the waiting really IS the hardest part.

I kinda thought this would happen. I kinda thought that my brief encounters with lilacs while downstate last weekend would trigger this yearning for our flowers up here to bloom. And while I'm loathe to say it, I was right. I wish I wasn't.

But I was.

Now, when I walk to work in the morning, I come across my favorite lilac tree and still see this--



I'm mentally shouting “hurry up you guys” at the top of my lungs. Thankfully, I haven't shouted it out loud yet; however, should the Mining Journal police log say something along the lines of “lunatic yelling at tree, 300 block of north Front Street”, you'll know who they're talking about.

Really, you will.

Based on my obsession with these flowers, I know that we're not that far away from their blooming. In fact, I can tell you, based on how big they are in the picture, that on or around Memorial Day they should be ready to sniff. But having already caught a few whiffs for the season while downstate, I don't know if I can wait that long. I've already caught my first whiff, and now I'm jonesing for my next. I know it's not healthy; I know I should probably have a little more self control. But I don't. I've said it before and I'll say it again--

My name is Jim, and I'm a lilac-holic.

(jim@wmqt.com), patiently (and occasionally not so patiently) waiting for the lilacs to bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment