Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Tuesday, 5/3

I'm done with them for the season, even if it (at times) seems like I've barely started yet.

I know I've been writing in here a lot about the most recent batch of “Pieces of the Past”, the history video shorts I do for the Marquette Regional History Center. Well, last night I finished putting together the 18th (and final) one for the season, and it's engendered two feelings in me--

Yay, I'm done with them, and wait...I'm done with them already?

As I've mentioned, these little two or three (or more) minute vignettes take some work to put together. I have to figure out a topic, do research on it if need be, find visuals, write it, record it, edit it, and post it. Some of them I've done in a hour, some have taken a week. But when I look back at a calendar and realize I've been working on them since the end of January, it kind of blows my mind.

It hasn't really been three months, has it?

Yet it has. It's been over two months, in fact, since I posted the first one for the year. And in that time I've got to discover some amazing stories, interview some wonderful people, and then share the end results with everyone.

The previous two years I did these I didn't get the same feelings. I was starting to run out of ideas and was just more glad to be done with them than anything. But not this year. I don't know if it's because I've spread them out more (instead of two or three a week just doing one every five or six days) or because I've had other people on as special guests (talking about their area of expertise), but it's not the same this year. I don't feel like I'm ready to wrap up the season. I'm guessing that's a good thing, and I'm guessing that's why, when I clicked the “render” button on my editing software for that final video, it took me by surprise.

I'm actually ready to make some more.

Because I work ahead there are four more I've yet to share with the world, so I'm going to give you a sneak peek of the one that goes up later today—a very unique, very specifically Marquette story.

In fact, you may even have visited it yourself once or twice.



(jim@wmqt.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment