Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Wednesday, 5/4

Happy Star Wars Day!

Wait...you don't celebrate Star Wars Day? But it's May the 4th...you know, as in “May the force (or, in this case, the 4th) be with you”. You really don't celebrate?

Oh, that's right. You're normal.

8-)

Every so often when I ask a movie trivia question about a “Star Wars” film I'll get someone who has never seen one. Several times, I've had TV-6 people in the studio to shoot my “What's Up” segment and they'll admit not being a fan of the films. And over the years on “High School Bowl” I've even had one or two of the brightest young people on the planet say that they just don't get “Star Wars”.

And that kinda blows my mind. I mean, I know I'm a dork and I grew up with the original films, but in a macro sense I'm also aware that they're a cultural phenomenon. Even if you're not a fan of the films—and, apparently, there are a lot more people out there like that than I ever imagined—you're at least aware of the significance of the movie series.

You may not celebrate the holiday today, but at least you're aware of it.

But I get where some people are coming from. Obviously, I'm a “Star wars” geek  Like me, there are people who are also geeks for a series of films, but in their case they're “Harry Potter” geeks. They grew up with the books and the films, and they'll drink butter beer and play Quiddich. And when I tell them I've never seen a “Harry Potter” film and could care less about ever seeing one, they give me the very same look that I'm sure I give people who say they're just not interested in “Star Wars”.

To each their own. And, by the way, I hope you don't think any less of me because I really don't care about Harry Potter. We all have our deep, dark, secrets. I guess that's mine.

So if you celebrate today, enjoy yourself. If you don't, that's fine too. Just don't be surprised if you do hear “May the Fourth be with you” a time or two today.

Some of us just can't help ourselves.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment