Monday, May 2, 2022

Monday, 5/2

Have you noticed the change?

I noticed it while walking around over the weekend. I saw moving trucks everywhere, and I also noticed that the parked cars on every single Marquette street are (slightly) fewer in numbers, as well. And over the past few nights, I’ve noticed less ruckus from noisy parties up & down my normally noisy block.

Guess that means that some NMU students are leaving for the summer, huh?

I’m always a little bummed when that happens; nothing seems to amp up the energy quotient of a city more than having thousands of college-age residents swell its population. It’s one of the things that makes Marquette Marquette, after all. I mean, can you imagine the city without all the students around? It’d be quiet, it’d be dead...

It just wouldn't be the same.

I know I’ve written in here before about some of the noises I’ve heard late at night, some of the college parties, and some of the just bizarre activities I’ve witnessed, all thanks to NMU students. But I (and don’t tell anyone this) actually do kinda miss them when they’re gone. You know how residents of places like New York or Chicago say they have trouble sleeping without the sounds of sirens in the air? It’s kinda like that with me and college students, I guess. It’s like it’s part of the area’s background noise; it just doesn’t sound “right” without it.

That being said, there will now be something about the next month or so that also makes Marquette a special place. We’re in those few “transition” weeks, the weeks between when the college students leave and the tourists start descending on our fair city en masse. It’s a few weeks for us to enjoy the fact that we have city just to ourselves. It’s a few weeks for us to do what we want when we want, and to know the only people we have to clean up after is, well, “us”.

Before you know it, it’ll be Memorial Day, when one set of our guests start showing up again. Then, in another blink of an eye, it’ll be the end of August, when our other set of guests return for another year on campus. So enjoy these few weeks. They may be fleeting, but they’re ours.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment