Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Wednesday, 6/1

THAT was an interesting way to spend my final day as an employee of Taconite Broadcasting.

I had to run out to a meeting around noon yesterday, and when I returned a little over an hour later I came back to a station shrouded in darkness. I also saw a pillar of smoke rising from behind the Landmark Inn, a block up the street from us. I walked as close as I could, being stopped by the two fire trucks, when I noticed the electrical transformer that supplies power for our section of downtown Marquette had flames shooting out of it.

I'm guessing that's not good, right?

Three hours later, our power came back, which means I spent my last day working for my old company scrambling around and trying to get everything to work again. Who knows; maybe the radio gods wanted this part of my career to go out with a (literal) bang.

All I can say is that I hope the first day with my new employer goes a little better than the last day with my old one.

It's funny, as well. The way that power cables go through downtown Marquette means that the station, the Harlow Building next door, and the Peter White Public Library up the street were all dark. Yet Loraine, working at Range Bank, right across the street from me, never saw a glitch, a drop, or an iota of power loss the entire time.

Lucky Range Bank.

But, that's all now history. There's a new transformer in place of the old one, and hopefully whatever caused the old one to catch on fire yesterday won't rear its ugly head today.

Otherwise my new bosses might just start to wonder what they got themselves into.

*******

And as a note to daily blog reader Betsy in Reese (and everyone else waiting the news with bated breath), look what's out!


(jim@wmqt.com)



No comments:

Post a Comment