Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Tuesday, 5/10

I wonder what they're thinking about when they sit down on the bench.

Across the street from the station is the courtyard of the First Presbyterian Church. At the back of the courtyard is a bench with an American flag, some flowers, and a few other things that actually make it a little oasis of peace in the middle of a downtown.

You can see the courtyard from the front desk of the station, a place where I spend a couple of hours a day working on a few things and, I have to admit, casting covetous glances at all the people wandering around outside. Yes, I'm a little jealous of them.

But that's not the point of this blog.

Almost every day when I'm working at the front desk I see two things—I see an older woman out with whom I'm guessing is her granddaughter go into the courtyard, where Grandma sits on the bench and the toddler plays in the grass. Then they leave about 10 minutes later. Later on in the day I also see an elderly gentleman who walks into the courtyard and sits on the bench, thoughts to himself. A few minutes later, he leaves.

And since it's an almost daily habit for both of these individuals, that's why I'm wondering what they're thinking about.

In all honesty I really don't need to know what they're thinking about; as it is, I almost feel like I'm intruding on their personal moments when they go into the courtyard. But part of me wonders about the reason why. Does the courtyard give them peace? Are they connected to someone who had something to do with putting it together, and going there reminds them of that individual. Is it just a stop on a walk up & down a hill?

I don't know. And, truth be told, I don't really need to know. Over the past year I've just been noticing these (almost) daily visits, and it has piqued my curiosity, even though it's none of my business. As long as the courtyard brings them whatever peace or rest or escape from reality they're looking for, that's the important thing.

I'm glad they've found it. And now that I've noticed it, I'll try not to pay any attention to it. It is, after all, their moment.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment