Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Tuesday, 8/10

 I would like to know the story behind the shoe.


When I was out and about Sunday morning I saw the shoe, just as it was pictured above, on the steps of the Peter White Public Library. When I walked past the library again later that afternoon, the shoe was still sitting there.

I want to know why.

Admittedly, the shoe must've been left on the steps on Saturday night, and even during a pandemic there is one thing that happens in downtown Marquette on a Saturday night. People consume alcohol. I know it's shocking, but as someone who lives and works near downtown, I can tell you it's true. And that's why I'm fairly certain that the shoe on the steps of the library probably has something to do with alcohol being consumed.

So we've established that.

What I'm a little more curious about, though, is what happened to the person who lost the shoe? Was she carrying both shoes in her hand, had to sit down because (and I'm guessing here) she drank a little too much and just forgot to pick one of her shoes up? Or did she somehow lose one of her shoes while standing on the library steps, then end up making her way home with one foot bare and the other in a shoe with a 3-inch heel? I'm guessing that wouldn't have been the most comfortable walk home, but depending upon the amount of alcohol consumed that may not have mattered.

By the way, have I ever mentioned that people drink alcohol in downtown Marquette on a Saturday night?

Now, when I walked to work Monday morning the shoe was gone, which means that either the person who lost it retraced her steps and found it, or (more likely) someone from the library saw a shoe on their steps and got rid of it. While that's probably a good thing for the environment, it still does not answer the most pressing question of our time--

Just how DID the shoe end up on the steps of the library?

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment