Monday, August 17, 2020

Monday, 8/17

Whaddya think—is the entire state of Michigan vacationing in Marquette?

I have to wonder after being in and around the city on Friday afternoon. Because Loraine's sister and boyfriend were visiting, I took a little time off to show them around some areas they wanted to visit—Dead River Falls & Black Rocks.

What we saw there blew my mind--


I didn't take any pictures at the falls, our first stop of the day, where we had to park almost a quarter mile away from the cul-de-sac because there were so many people there. Then, when we went to the Island we noticed that parking was also at a premium--

Two observations here. One is that I have never seen either place so packed...and on a Friday afternoon, to boot. Secondly, being the dork I am, I looked at the license places of the cars, and at least 90 percent of them were from the state of Michigan. That's good, in a way, because it shows that even in the midst of a pandemic there's still something so appealing about Marquette that it attracts people from all over the state. It's also bad, in a way, because it shows that even in the midst of a pandemic there's still something so appealing about Marquette that it attracts people from all over the state.

Specifically, people from areas where the Coronavirus has hit a LOT harder than it's hit here.

Even when we got back into the city there were throngs of people everywhere. Admittedly, it was a beautiful 85 degree day, and, admittedly, it was welcome back weekend for NMU. But to literally not have any room to walk downtown and Third Street sidewalks? Like I said, I've lived here most of my life, and I don't ever recall it being this insane, especially, like I said, on a Friday afternoon.

Thankfully, almost everyone I saw was wearing a mask, at least on the sidewalks. Hopefully, they left with fond memories of a wonderful place,, and hopefully, they didn't leave anything behind except some of their hard earned money.

I guess we'll find out as test numbers come back in the next two weeks, right?

(jim@wmqt.com)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment