Thursday, August 6, 2020

Thursday, 8/6


Even though the odds are that we won't be going anywhere, I have still entered “The Safe Zone”.

What's “The Safe Zone”, you ask? Well, I answer, that's when I can not do anything that would cause an injury that would not heal in the next month. Get a paper cut on my finger? That’s okay. Go riding no-handed on my bike, not see a rock on the bike path, fall over, and break my arm?

Not okay.

“The Safe Zone” started as a joke between me & Loraine after my somewhat horrific bike accident seven years ago. Among other things, we were just happy it didn't occur right before we were scheduled to go to Europe, a trip where I would've been driving everywhere. Ever since then, the month before we go has been designated “The Safe Zone”, and even though we know in our hearts we won't be going to France next month, the trip hasn't YET been officially cancelled, so here we go back into “The Safe Zone”

I mean, I always try to be careful, no matter what I do. I’ve hardly had any serious accidents in my life, I’ve never broken a bone; heck, I’ve never even spent a night in the hospital. So it’s not like I go out and court danger. But I do do physical things that could, under the right circumstances, turn dangerous--I ride my bike (yes, sometimes, no-handed), I hop over rocks on a breakwater, and I try to walk across streets in downtown Marquette when drivers don’t seem to pay attention to pedestrians.

All it would take is one bad move from any of those activities, and I’d end up in traction when I should be driving around Normandy & Brittany.

Now, I’m not gonna stop doing what I do. I mean, it’s summer. I’m not gonna not ride my bike, and I’m certainly not gonna not walk across the street (especially when I have the light AND the right-of-way). I’ll just take extra care with what I do. I may not ride my bike no-handed (even if you get more of a workout when you do). I’ll look both ways--two or three extra times--when I’m crossing the street.

And, who knows, maybe I’ll avoid sharp knives and scissors entirely.

So wish me luck, and keep reminding me--pay attention to everything I do, everywhere I go, and every breath I take. Even if it'll probably all be for naught.


No comments:

Post a Comment