Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Wednesday, 5/20


History Jim was supposed to be doing a gig tonight.

While I'm still waiting to hear if my “Third Street: Day & Night” and “The Greasier the Spoon” walking tours for the History Center will happen this year, one thing that I had been asked to do was cancelled a while ago. Tonight, I was supposed to give a short talk on Louis Kaufman at the annual Kaufman Awards, held in Kaufman Auditorium.

But, like everything regarding schools this year, that won't be happening..

Don't worry; they're still giving out the awards, which go to deserving students throughout the school district. But they won't be having the ceremonies like they usually do. While I've never actually taken part in them, I was asked to this year because the person who usually gives the life story of Louis Kaufman was scheduled to be out of the country, and they asked me to fill in.

Like mine, though, his trip was cancelled. As was the awards ceremony this year.

I feel bad for the kids who will getting their awards virtually this year. This is usually kind of a big deal for students in the Marquette Area Public School system. As the proud uncle of two nieces who received the awards and as the host of a TV show that's featuring a bunch of recipients, I know the special air that goes along with getting the honor. And while this year's recipients get the honor, they don't get the hoopla that goes along with it.

That's a bummer.

So, History Jim won't be talking about Louis Kaufman tonight. As for the walking tours this summer, I have no idea. As of right now, groups bigger than 10 people are still not allowed. And since the last time I did a walking tour I had 300 people come along, well...

You can do the math.

We'll just have to see if things change by July 8th.


No comments:

Post a Comment