Thursday, May 7, 2020

Thursday, 5/7


If you had 37 in the pool you get to walk away with the cash!

Now, I highly doubt there's a pool for this particular number. If there were, then I would guess that someone out there has been driven HIGHLY insane by all the things going on these days. But I was curious about something, so I kept track of it yesterday, and that's how I came up with the number.

During a 9-hour day at work I wash my hands 37 times.

That works out to around once every 15 minutes, which, among other things, probably explains why my hands are so dry and cracked. But these days you can't be too careful, I guess. Even though I'm here (mostly) alone and have been for eight weeks now, I'm still following recommendations and washing my hands when I feel the need.

And, apparently, that need is every 15 minutes.

Now, just so you don't think I'm a freak (as opposed to all the other times I've said “now, just so you don't think I'm a freak”) I usually wash my hands quite a bit anyway. I'm quite aware of germs and how they're transmitted, and while I'm not in any way OCD about it I do try to keep my hands clean, especially when I'm about to touch food or drink. And since, when I'm at work, I don't eat regular meals but instead graze my way through the day, I'm washing my hands quite a bit.

Considering I haven't had a sick day in three decades of working here, I'm thinking that's a practice that actually does pay off.

I have no idea how much I used to wash my hands before the pandemic struck. I do know it was a lot less than 37 times a day; the dry skin on my hands is proof of that. So I've always been a little...careful about keeping them clean. But like many things these days, my old habit has been twisted and turned and refined to become something I hardly recognize. However, unlike some of the things we no longer recognize, I'm thinking this isn't a bad thing. My hands are staying clean, I'm staying germ-free, and aside from going through copious amounts of lotion to try and keep the cracked skin a little less cracked, it's not too much of a change from normal.

That, however, is not to say that I don't look forward to the day when I no longer have to wash my hands 37 times in a 9-hour span. I'm keeping my fingers—my dry, cracked, but clean fingers—crossed.



No comments:

Post a Comment