Monday, May 18, 2020

Monday, 5/18


Boy, I'm really out of shape.

Now, just to be clear, I'm not out of shape physically. During this whole little crisis I've been keeping up on my routines of running and working out and kicking a soccer ball, and as soon as I get some time to pump up my tires I'll add biking, as well. I'm not out of shape physically. I am, however, REALLY out of shape when it comes to eating baked goods.

And yes, that is a thing.

The shutdown has affected a lot of my favorite places around Marquette, from Babycakes to 231 and many others. Now that they're reopening we've been celebrating by purchasing some product, and that how I've discovered just how out of shape I've gotten.

I can't even eat a whole scone in one sitting any more. It's shocking, isn't it?

Now, admittedly, this isn't an average scone. This is a Babycakes M&M's scone that's approximately the size of an old 45 record, and with a weight that's approaching one pound. A normal person wouldn't be able to eat it in one sitting anyway. As we all know, though, I'm anything but normal, and would often scarf a whole one at one time, washing it down with a glass of milk. But when I tried it this weekend, even without the milk, I couldn't even make it halfway through without uttering this refrain--

“I'm so stuffed I'm never eating again”.

That's never happened before when eating a Babycakes scone. But because I haven't had one in six or seven weeks I just couldn't do it. It took just six or seven weeks for my eating muscles to atrophy and for my stomach to rebel half a pound into the one pound scone. I guess fitness experts really are right.

If you don't use it, you lose it.

Never fear, though. I will work to get back into shape. I will keep eating Babycakes scones, no matter how long it takes, to make sure that I can finish one in one sitting. I've been that in shape before, and I'm sure I can do it again.

Wish me luck.



No comments:

Post a Comment