Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Tuesday, 5/19


Geez. I wonder if we'll even know how to act in public any more?

We here in the UP get to be the test case for the rest of Michigan, as we're re-opening beginning on Friday. We'll have to wear masks everywhere we go, bars & restaurants can only have 50% capacity, and gatherings are limited to ten or fewer people, but that first step on the long road to normalcy has been taken.

It's gonna be strange; that's for sure.

I don't know that, personally, my lifestyle will change that much. After all, I've been going to work throughout this entire shutdown. But I do know that there are people who've been religiously sticking to safety protocols and staying home, only venturing out to get essential supplies. That's why I'm thinking I'll lay low when things reopen Friday. I've been out and about in the world. There are many other people who really haven't since mid-March.

I'll let them have their socially-distanced fun.

One thing I do look forward to tackling whenever would be checking items off my “stimulus list”. As you may recall, I've started a list of locally-owned businesses in which to spend the $1,200 I was given in stimulus money. I've been very fortunate in that I didn't need the money to survive the stay-at-home order, so I want to use it in the manner in which it was intended—to help stimulate local businesses. So I have my list of things to get in locally-owned, mom & pop stores. I'm not spending any of it in big chain stores. They're surviving the downturn just fine. But a lot of the downtown stores I know & love aren't, which is why the list I've been working on is filled with places at which I can spend the $1,200.

I know it might not make that big of a difference, but it's something I feel kind of strongly about, for whatever reason.

Like I said, though, I'll wait until next week to do that. I'll let everyone who hasn't been as lucky as me, people who've followed the rules and stayed home these past two months, have their fun first. They certainly deserve it.


No comments:

Post a Comment