Friday, May 15, 2020

Friday, 5/15


Remind me not to wear that color again any time soon.

Yesterday was dress-up day at work, where everyone's who's in the office does their best to look professional. I instituted the policy after the pandemic hit, just to make sure that everyone here remembers what being an adult is like. So far, I've had 100% compliance with the directive from everyone who's at the station each and every day.

You know—me.

As usual during dress-up day I wore a shirt, tie, and jacket, garnering strange looks not only from the one listener to whom I slipped a prize under the front door, but also from me as well. I was wearing something I've worn before, a charcoal gray jacket with an almost neon blue shirt. It's a great example of contrast, and when I wear it on TV it really stands out. But you knew what really stood out when I looked in the mirror yesterday?

The gray hair on my head matching the charcoal gray of the jacket.

When I was talking about my increasingly-wavy and feathering hair last week I also mentioned how the longer it gets, the more gray you can see. And it's true. But the combination of the gray hair on my head and the gray of the jacket I was wearing did something I didn't even think was possible.

It made me looked washed out.

Now, those of you who know me know that for a white guy I have kind of dark skin. I don't get washed out. In fact, in the middle of January I have people ask me if I just got back from Florida. So I don't look pale. But through some strange trick of coloring or optical phase cancellation or something, the mix of my increasingly long gray hair and the charcoal gray jacket I was wearing just washed my face out. When I took the jacket off? My face looked normal (or as normal as I can ever look). When I put the jacket back on?

Pale. It was the strangest thing.

So, I now know to wear something else on the next station dress-up day. I'm thinking black. After all, you can't go wrong with basic black, right? I'm pretty sure it won't wash my face out like gray did. If nothing else, it'll probably just make the gray in my hair stand out even more.

We'll find out Tuesday.

On that note, have a great weekend. If you're so inclined, RB Leipzig is playing SC Freiburg on Fox Sports 2 Saturday morning. Even if we didn't get over to Germany to see a game live in person earlier this month, it'll still be a big day in the Koski household!


No comments:

Post a Comment