Friday, May 29, 2020

Friday, 5/29


Wait. It's almost summer? How the $##(^ did THAT happen?

It's true, though. And you would've thought that the 80+ degree weather we had earlier this week should have alerted me to that fact. But nope. Even though it seems like I last went snowshoeing last week (it was April 6th, to be specific), what weather experts call “meteorological summer” begins Monday, June 1st.

The fact that June starts Monday blows my mind, too, but let's leave that be for the time being.

I realize this wacky, wacky year has thrown everyone's perception of time off, so maybe I'm not to blame too much for being stunned it's about to be “summer”. The lilacs aren't quite out yet here in Marquette, and they usually make their appearance before the end of May. And (in a somewhat related matter) we really didn't have a “spring” this year. Last week, temperatures were in the 40s; this week, they were in the 80s (before, of course, they went back to the 40s of today's forecast). So, once again, maybe I'm not to blame too much.

But you'd think that after all these years of saying “I can't believe it's June (or whatever month it is)” I'd figure that I, in reality, actually would be to blame.

You'd think.

I'll probably get the whole thing figured out right as I'm about to turn 100 or so, and then not be able to use that knowledge that much. But until then, you can rest assured that I'll still be stunned by the rapidity with which time moves, and the seemingly arbitrary way season change without my knowledge and/or permission.

Have a great “summer” weekend, he says, knowing it'll only be 50 or so outside here in Marquette!



No comments:

Post a Comment