Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Wednesday, 9/24

It's almost as good as the original. And that's saying something.

Over the years I've fallen in love with certain chocolate bars, only to have those bars either discontinued or from a country where I can't order them. It's a shame, especially when you come across something that's so good that with the first bite you know you're about to enter a place where your taste buds have never traveled.

Such was the case with a bar Lindt made that was only available in Germany, a 70% dark chocolate bar with candied pink grapefruit bits in it. I know it sounds weird, but trust me—it was heaven. Every time we went to Germany I would stock up on them.  Unfortunately, when we went back after Covid in 2022, I found out they no longer made the bars.

I was crushed.

Therefore, I was both curious and skeptical when I came across this a couple of weeks ago--



It's slightly different than the one with which I fell in love; aside from being made in Bulgaria (!) for a company in Norway (!!), this one has chia seeds in it, among other things. But you know what? Despite the crunch and despite the fact that the chocolate doesn't totally taste like the German chocolate, the bar is not too bad. It captures the essence of what made the Lindt bar so good, and seeing as how the original no longer exists, it's nice to have a substitute like this one.

Yes, I know I have strange tastes in chocolate, but you know what? Apparently I'm not the only one who likes the mix of dark chocolate & pink grapefruit. It may be an acquired taste, but I, at least, think it's s taste worth acquiring.

So if you happen to come across it at a store, don't look at it with a jaundiced eye. Check it out for yourself!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment