Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Wednesday, 2/24

 The timing couldn't have been better.

I can't divulge any details yet, but you know how I write all those history articles for the Mining Journal? The ones I usually forget about until they're published, and then I'm shocked by their appearance? Well, I wrote another one this past weekend, which will come out next week. That in itself isn't a big deal.

But what happened yesterday MAY have been a big deal.

I was given access to a plethora of historical material as part of a project I may be doing in the very near future. Buried within that material was a bunch of first-hand documentation about the story I'd just written for the Mining Journal. Everything about the story came from newspaper articles and second- or third-hand accounts, and while I was going through all the material and noticed, in one of the biggest coincidences in the history of coincidences, first-hand, contemporary documentation of everything about which I had just written, I was flabbergasted.

Just flabbergasted.

I didn't have pictures of the event about which I wrote; now I do. I didn't have “official” accounts of the event about which I wrote; now I do. I really don't have to change anything about the story, although I could make it a little longer, both with quotes from what I found and for a little more context. The funny thing is the story was a little long to begin with; I really don't need to make it longer.

Even if I now have all this new stuff about it!

Hopefully, this will all make a little more sense when the article comes out next week and I can share a little of my new found treasure trove. I'll be going through the material for quite a while, and who knows—maybe I can even expand upon the article in the future, maybe even in another form of media. Doesn't really matter. Like I said, it may have been one of the biggest coincidences in the history of coincidences, and I know it means one thing--

This is one newspaper article I won't forget about right after writing it.

(jim@wmqt.com)



No comments:

Post a Comment