Thursday, February 18, 2021

Thursday, 2/18

 I know I’ve spent almost this entire week mentioning, in one way or another, the cartoon “Hong Kong Phooey”. I wasn’t going to talk about it at all today; in fact, I had promised a story about writing. But listener & daily blog reader Kristin in Marquette, who sent me the note Tuesday that kind of started the whole thing, wrote back again wondering if there is indeed such a thing as the “Hong Kong Phooey” doll I mentioned owning.

Kristen--NEVER doubt the power of “The Number One Super Guy” (at least, Number One Super Guy if you believe the cartoon’s theme song)--



As I was taking the picture of my doll, I realized a little something. Hong Kong Phooey bears an eerie resemblance to another animated superhero, Underdog. Don’t believe me?



Hmmmm. What’s weird is that the two cartoons were produced 10 years apart by entirely different production companies, yet they share some amazing physical characteristics. Maybe there’s something in this we’re not supposed to know about. Maybe ALL cartoon canine superheroes share some DNA, or come from a secret superhero puppy farm where they’re trained to fetch, roll over, and vanquish bad guys.

Hmmmm. That may be something I’ll have to ponder over the next few days.

Okay. I THINK that does it as far as our discussion of “Hong Kong Phooey” goes. I know I've had enough of it. Tomorrow, that story about writing. Even if Hong Kong Phooey (or his doppelganger) raise their head again.

8-)

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment