Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Wednesday, 2/10

 Mayer Hawthorne is literally invading my dreams.

Why has a neo-soul singer hardly anyone's ever heard of popping up in my subconscious each and every night for the last week and a half? Well, it has to do with my work situation. As you know, I'm coming up on eleven months of working alone. Because of that, I often listen to music in my office while toiling away. Because no one else is around to complain, I can often listen to the same music over and over, which is a bizarre habit of mine. In fact, I've been doing that with Hawthorne's new “Rare Changes” album for the past couple of weeks. I'll listen to it, then listen to it again, then listen to it for a third time in a row just for added emphasis.

Is there any wonder why songs from it keep popping up in my dreams?

Really, they do. I'll be gliding through whatever absurd situation my brain comes up with while I'm sleeping when, right in the middle of me climbing into a rocket or becoming Katy Perry's stage manager (both of which I've dreamt the past few days), a song from the new Mayer Hawthorne album pops into my head. It's always a different song; after all, apparently, my dreams don't want me to get bored. But invariably, no matter what I'm dreaming, a Mayer Hawthorne song will pop into it.

I guess I'm just lucky that way.

(And, as an aside, what kind of guy has a dream about Katy Perry and dreams that he's becoming her stage manager???)

Yes, I know it would probably stop if I didn't listen to the album so much. But you know what? I like it. It's a good piece of work. And I need something to keep me company while I toil away in obscurity. Besides, I'm now kind of curious to see how long this keeps going. If I were to listen to the album three times a day for the next month would my dreams still be interrupted on a nightly basis? If I stop. Will they go away?

Or, I guess, I could start listening to Katy Perry non-stop and see where THAT leads.

8-)

So you know what I'm babbling about, here's a sample of what pops into my dreams each and every night these days--



(jim@wmqt.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment