Thursday, February 4, 2021

Thursday, 2/4

 It's a good thing I'm not superstitious. Or, in this case, maybe it's a bad thing I'm not superstitious.

Yesterday it was my turn to put Loraine's gas in the car. Even though I don't own it, I still drive it, so I pay for half the upkeep (yes, even the dead batteries). I put gas in it because the tank was getting down near half, and it's been, uhm, since before Thanksgiving since we last bought it, so I figured I should fill it up.

Everyone should do that at least once every two and a half months, right? And yes, I'll shut up now.

8-)

Anyway, I filled it up and went to see how much I put in. I don't remember what the cost was, but I do remember just how much gas went in the tank--

5.555 gallons. Freaky, huh?

That's a, what? One in 10,000 chance that that number pops up? I know I've never remembered how much gas I've purchased all the other times I've filled up a tank, but I'm guessing I may remember thie one for a while.

5.555 gallons.

Because I'm not a superstitious person I realize that it was just random chance that that number popped up. If you fill your tank 10,000 times, odds are that one of those times will see you pumping exactly 5.555 gallons. It's just math. It's just probability. It's just science.

However, if I WERE a superstitious person I'd take this as a sign. I'd start to wonder if there was something cosmically aligning about the number five, and I'd rush out and buy as many lottery tickets I could that had combinations of the number. I'd sit in anticipation, waiting to see if lightning struck twice.

But, alas, I'm not superstitious. I know that the odds of both my pumping 5.555 gallons of gas and those being the winning lottery numbers are, like, infinitesimal. So maybe it's a good thing I'm not superstitious. It'll save me a buck, or however much a lottery ticket costs these days.

That being said, if you ARE superstitious, so ahead and give it a try. Maybe you can change my mind...and make yourself a little money in the process.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment