Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Wednesday, 5/29


Wait. You had the one day of summer in Marquette this year while we were gone?

How could you?

8-)

Greetings from somewhere on I-75, where it's all rainy and foggy but, thankfully, the road construction is being held off for one more day. We're on our way back from an action-packed weekend downstate to see Loraine's family and friends. While you were having your one day of summer we had a series of massive thunderstorms move through, including one that dumped two inches of rain in about that many hours and left the farm fields down there still flooded as we were leaving Tuesday morning.

Like us, they've had a weird weather year so far. Like us, it's been cooler and wetter than normal, although they've actually been above freezing for more than a day or two. And because of the chilly spring so far, Loraine and I (well, mostly me) were able to check out something that's normally gone by now--



Yup. They managed to hang on long enough for us to enjoy them. That means I was able to enjoy my second orgy of lilac sniffing for the year (the first being back in Germany last month) with a third yet to come after the ones in Marquette finally bloom, and that should be any day now (unless, of course, we get a killing frost or something stupid like that. And since Marquette's already had its summer for the year, I'm not assuming anything).

So we'll have to see how that works out.

(This has nothing to do with nothing, but we just passed an NMU billboard heading into Grayling. It's like we're home already!)

Now that we're done with Reese, a 6-week span where it seemed like we traveled more than worked has come to an end, and we're hopeful we can settle back into what passes for a normal routine. I won't have to keep working ahead just so we can leave for a few days here or a few days there, and I can just concentrate on having, for the first time in over a decade, a “normal” summer, one where I can take half-days, work on History Center projects, and enjoy the weather (assuming, of course, it's weather we can actually enjoy).

It'll be weird. It'll be nice, but it'll be weird. Plus we have street construction to look forward to. It'll be a blast. Really, it will!

As always, we would like to thank daily blog readers Betsy & Floyd of Reese for their hospitality, their spare bedroom, their cats, and all the food they put together while we were visiting. I've written before about the town where Loraine grew up, so I won't do it again, but if you'd like one more picture of the awesome flatness of the place, here it is--


You can see almost three miles down the road in this picture.  THAT'S how flat Reese is!

Well, we'll be getting to the Bridge sometime soon, and that's where I take over driving duties, so if you'll excuse me I need to find the $4 in toll money I put somewhere, and get ready for the most exciting 160 mile stretch of roadway in the world.





No comments:

Post a Comment