Thursday, May 16, 2019

Thursday, 5/16


The picture may have been the tipping point.

When we last spoke I mentioned the negative reaction a picture I posted on Facebook. I didn't post the picture for any negative reason; I posted it because it was an interesting picture. Yet here we are, almost four days after it went up, and I'm still seeing people complain about what's in the picture.

(At this point, I suppose I should say that you should read yesterday's post before continuing here. So scroll down a bit and do so. Don't worry; we'll wait for you).

Okay. Now you're up to speed. The whole affair actually ties into something I've been considering for awhile, and that's that I may want to change my social media habits. I started with Twitter, but left that because having so few characters to use makes people just seem way too mean and/or narcissistic.  I moved to Facebook, but recently I've been starting to reconsider that decision. What started as a way to keep up with friends and listeners has turned into a non-stop barrage of shared posts about one eyed dogs, notices about 10-year old cars for sale, and really incendiary political memes, almost all of which are usually wildly inaccurate or outright lies. Hardly anyone writes anything new or original today; everyone just seems to post or share stuff put together by third party content providers and/or Russian trolls.

It's basically become Twitter with more than 280 characters.

Social media, in a perfect state, should exist to enhance your life, to keep you in touch with people and to introduce you to places and ideas with which you might not be familiar. Instead, it's become a giant algorithm that rewards posts that get the most reactions, be they likes or hates. That means that quite often the stuff that pisses off as many people as possible is the stuff you see the most. And that makes me wonder—things are bizarre enough in the real world these days. Why would I want to spend some of my valuable non-real world time scrolling through shared items designed to do nothing but inflame, and watch my stress levels rise 15 times above their normal levels?

Doesn't make sense to me.

I know the world has become increasingly polarized. I know you're supposed to be in one camp or the other, and the camp you're not part of should be treated like the enemy. And I know there's a lot of meanness and bullying out there, especially when you don't have to express that dark side of yourself to someone in person but can instead do it fairly anonymously through a keyboard. But what used to be fun, and a way to escape the stresses of the real world, has now turned into anything but fun.

And that's why I might just dump it.

Loraine, affected by the anger and vitriol she sees in Facebook as much as I, has been dabbling with Instagram recently. She only follows a few people and organizations, and has found little or nothing in the way of shared content on the platform. She thinks I might do well there, posting a picture a day or sharing little history nuggets. And I have to admit—it might be nice to go online and see original content put together by people who don't spread fear and misinformation. It would be a new experience, but it would be nice, and certainly a huge change from what Facebook has become these days.

So if we're friends on Facebook and you suddenly realize that I've not posted anything in forever, don't sweat it. I just will have given up on it. And if I do that, I'll let you know to which (if any) other platform I've migrated.

If you're interested, of course.



No comments:

Post a Comment