Monday, May 13, 2019

Monday, 5/13

It’s nice to know I got something for the inconvenience.

Those of you who read this on a regular basis know that last month I had to deal with the schedule-wrecking civic duty known as jury duty.  I was on call for 3 of the 5 Tuesdays of the month (being in Germany the other two), actually had to go in one morning but wasn't chosen, and because of the uncertainly regarding my schedule had to do all kinds of odd things (sometimes two or three times, because of trials canceled at the last minute and the like) all while trying to work ahead to be able to fly to Europe.

It was fun, wasn’t it?

Anyway, I received a check from Marquette County over the weekend for my “services” and once and for all, found out how much of a price we can put on three weeks worth of schedule juggling and doing the same things over and over.  In this particular case, that price is $24.24.

That was worth it, right?

I find it funny how they arrived at the $24.24.  I was paid for full day of jury duty--$22.50--for the one morning where I actually went in but wasn't chosen for the jury.  The other $1.74 came from, believe it or not, mileage.  Apparently, you get paid 87 cents for every mile you live away from the Marquette County Courthouse.  I know that’s for people who have to drive to the Courthouse, but I didn’t drive at all.  I do what I always do--I walked.  That means I got paid $1.74 for walking from my apartment to the Courthouse, and then from the Courthouse to work after I wasn't chosen.  That’s basically getting paid 14 cents a block, just for doing something I do multiple times every day.

Now I just need to find someone to pay me 14 cents for every block I walk in Marquette.  Think of how many trips to Europe I could pay for THAT way!!!

So if you ever wondered how much of a price can be put on an inconvenient but necessarily task, now you know.  Hopefully, you won’t have to find out any time soon, but just in case, you’re set.  And now I  can keep it in the back of mind for the next time I'm chosen for jury duty.

Because you KNOW there will be a next time.  Hopefully, it won't occur during Christmas (like it did in 2012) or while I'm getting ready to travel (like this year), but you know there will be a next time.  I guess I'm just lucky that way.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment