Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Wednesday, 3/28


It's been a year, and the sight of it still sets my heart a-flutter.

When I woke up this morning Facebook reminded me that one year ago I posted a picture on the service, a picture of the love of my life (non-Loraine division).

What was that picture?



That's right; it's apparently been a year since I flew down to Florida for a weekend to walk on a beach, soak up some sun, indulge my inner space nerd, and to fall in love with one of the most amazing flying machines every constructed. And thanks to Facebook (which, apparently, is good for at least one thing these days) I've been reminded that we've now been together for a whole year.

Sigh.

First of all, I can't believe that it's been a year since my parents allowed me to be an 11-year old again for a day. It seems like what...three, four weeks at the max? But it has indeed been 365 days, and while I haven't stared at this particular picture of Atlantis for a while, I on a daily basis come across the little model of the shuttle that I purchased down there. I've worn the Atlantis T-shirt my dad bought for me many times. I debuted the Atlantis tie I picked up down there earlier this year on “High School Bowl”. I use the holographic Atlantis book mark I found down there whenever I need to mark my place in a book or magazine. I still occasionally refer to the book of shuttle missions that I spotted in the gift shop. And the love of my life (non-shuttle division) still uses the “I love you to the moon & back” mug that I brought back for her.

I'm thankful she's not the jealous type.

8-)

Yes, I need help. That's readily apparent, isn't it? But I've always been a space nerd; in fact, I can't remember a time when I wasn't fascinated by the whole concept of space travel. So one year ago when I was traipsing through the Kennedy Space Center, sitting in a mock-up of a Gemini capsule, seeing one of the few remaining Saturn V rockets laid out in all its glory, or falling in love with a big hunk of flying metal, it was just natural. It's part of who I was as a kid, and an equally big part of whom I am now.

Whether or not that makes me, you know, weird is something with which am entirely comfortable.

So that's what I did one year ago. Like I said, it's nice to know that Facebook is good for at least one thing these days!


No comments:

Post a Comment