Thursday, March 8, 2018

Thursday, 3/8


The 40th season of “High School Bowl” is in the books, and no one died.

That's a joke, of course, I don't believe anyone's actually passed away because of the show, and I can tell you with good authority that's it's been almost four years since anyone ever cried during the program. Yesterday, we taped the semi-finals and finals for this year, and for the 40th time a team walked away as champs.

I just won't tell you who. You'll have to watch in April to find out.

In one small way, this was a bit of a bittersweet year for me hosting the show. I started doing it four years ago, during a season when a lot of the teams were rebuilding and had a lot of freshman on them. Well, that was four years ago, which means that all throughout the season this year I've had to say goodbye to young men & women with whom I've spent my entire time on the show.

In some cases, it really won't be the same without them. And I wish them all good luck and good fortune in the years to come.

So now I get to spend six months without having to get dressed up on a weekly basis. Actually, I should rephrase that. I now get to spend six months without having any reason to get dressed up on a weekly basis. I still do like to get dressed up a day or two a week even when I'm not on TV, if only so I don't forget how to tie a tie and to remind myself that I AM, despite all appearances to the contrary, an adult. I usually do it on Mondays, too, because Mondays can be hard and I need all the help I can get.

As do we all, right?

It's funny; the first thing the people at Public TV ask me these days is some form of the phrase “You ARE coming back next year, right?” Of course I am; I have a blast doing it. And besides—it's nice having a reason to get dressed up on days of the week other than Monday.

(jim@wmqt.com), already looking forward to season five!


No comments:

Post a Comment