Monday, March 12, 2018

Monday, 3/12


A week from today I might do something wild & crazy. A week from today I might do something way out of the ordinary. A week from today I might do something I hardly ever do.

A week from today I may take the day off.

The last time I had an “official” day off of work would've been the last Friday we were in Germany, and that was over six months ago. Since then, I've had a couple of holiday and weekend days off, but even on those days I was probably doing something at home for work, or dealing with some kind of problem that had cropped up. I'm not complaining or anything; after all, that's part of the joy of being me. But every once in awhile I think I deserve a day off.

Don't you?

I know some of you (especially those of you who know me) may be thinking “Jim, you never take time off during the winter”, and you'd be right. I almost always save my time off for days when I can play outside in the sun. But there are two things in play here—one is that I have a lot of vacation time I need to use up. The other is that I've forgotten what a three day (or a two day, or even a one day) weekend is like. It might be nice to re-introduce myself!

I have no idea what I'll do if I take Monday off. If it's “nice” out (with “nice”, of course, being a comparative term) maybe I'll go running when I'm actually awake for once. If there's fresh snow, maybe I'll go skiing. Maybe I'll take my camera out. If it's not nice out? Maybe I'll read a book. Maybe I'll take a nap. Maybe I'll surprise Loraine with a nice dinner or some of her favorite brownies. It doesn't matter.

It'll just be nice having the day off.

I haven't totally decided yet, but I need to soon. After all, when I take a day off it means that I have to work ahead to get everything done for that extra day. But since I've actually had to start working ahead for the European trip coming up in just under six months (I kid you not) I can piggy-back onto that. And that's one of the reasons I'm thinking of taking Monday off.

I'll let you know how things go in the next day or two. Wish me luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment