Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Wednesday, 3/21

I miss riding my bike.

I know I’ve written in here before about my life-long love of riding a bike, using it for transportation, pleasure, and exercise, so I won’t bore you with a recap of that. But it’s getting around that time of the year here when you seem to start REALLY missing all of the things you’re able to do when there’s not snow being whipped extra high by a wind blowing around 25 miles per hour off of the lake. You really start to get a little tired of brushing off your car, shoveling off your sidewalk, and knocking the snow off your boots every time you walk inside.

It’s funny, because you don’t even give a second thought to any of this when it’s nice out and you don’t have to think about dealing with the snow and the cold. You just take for granted the fact that you can walk outside and do what you need to do, including hopping on your bike and just going. . .wherever you want to go

I’ve lived here long enough (or just plain LIVED long enough) to know that it’ll probably be another few weeks or so before I can even think about starting to consider the possibility of someday going out on my bike and not having to worry about patches of snow or ice on the paths, or of getting windburn on your face if you ride more than 2 miles an hour. Yes, I know I could splurge and get a fat tire bike, allowing me to ride year long, wrapped up in 16 layers of clothing, but I'm staying old school, at least for the time being.

I’m sure that will be a joyous day when it happens; heck, when I was a kid, I couldn’t wait until the day when enough snow had melted away from the storage shed in the backyard of my parents’ house on Norway that I could hack through it and get my bike out. And while I don’t have to hack through the snow to get to my bike any more, I still await that first day when the streets are clear enough and the air is warm enough to allow me to check the tires, oil the chain, and head out for ride.

Even if it’s still weeks or a month or so away.



No comments:

Post a Comment