Thursday, March 29, 2018

Thursday, 3/29


I saw Buddy Ebsen's head floating over my bedroom dresser last night.

Actually, I didn't see his head floating over my dresser, or anywhere else in my apartment. I haven't thought of the star of “Beverly Hillbillies” & “Barnaby Jones” for years now, and I personally don't believe that his disembodied head would be paying me a visit. After all, I don't have a cee-ment pond or an unsolved mystery anywhere.,

However, I was going through a stack of papers yesterday in my lame attempt at doing a little much-needed spring cleaning my office, and on one piece of note paper was written the line that started this blog. I have no idea why it was written on the paper; I certainly have no recollection of actually writing it, but there it was, in my handwriting, describing the floating head of Jed Clampett.

Now I just need to figure out what kind of break of reality led me to writing it.

Seriously; I have no idea why I would've written that line down. If I was prone to drinking a lot or taking mild-altering chemicals...well, then it might've made sense. But I do neither. I'm pretty much as straight and narrow as you can get, at least as far as that's concerned. But then, I apparently don't NEED a lot of alcohol or a handful of mind-altering chemicals to enter another mental dimension; no, I just need to write something on a piece of paper, shove it under a stack of other pieces of paper, and then come across it years later, wondering just why in the heck Buddy Ebsen's head is supposed to be floating over my dresser.

Some days, I amaze even myself.

I'm now almost a little apprehensive about finishing my spring cleaning. Do I really want to know what else I'll come across? Have I written even stranger things in the past, stranger things that I've now forgotten even writing? Will I stumble upon a string of numbers, and then start to wonder what they mean? Is it a phone number? A locker combination? The password to an online bank account worth millions of dollars? The key to the secrets of the universe? I wouldn't be surprised by anything. After all, I wrote a line about Buddy Ebsen for no reason and then entirely forgot about it.

Who know what else is lurking in those stacks of paper.

So if you ever have the chance to stop by the station and wander back to my office, don't be surprised if you see stacks of paper everywhere. It's not my fault.

It's Buddy Ebsen's.


No comments:

Post a Comment