Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Wednesday, 3/14


You know, it makes me think there still might be hope for our little corner of the multiverse.

Being (among many other things) a political junkie, the first thing I did when I woke up this morning was to check my newsfeed and see who won the Pennsylvania Congressional race last night. What I saw below that, though, blew my mind a little. Every major news organization, advocacy group, celebrity, TV show, and even the Foo Fighters, in their own profane way, marked with sadness the passing of Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Who knew?

I don't think anyone's surprised at his death at the age of 74; I think most people who knew of him were glad he lived and worked as long as he did. But the outpouring of admiration and grief following his passing took me, at least, a little by surprise. I always assumed most people knew of him, if at all, as the guy in the wheelchair who would make cameo appearances on “The Big Bang Theory” and “The Simpsons”, or the guy that one dude played in that one movie a few years ago (Eddie Redmayne in “The Theory of Everything”). But as it turns out, a theoretical physicist whose work on trying to understand the space-time continuum will truly be missed.

And that's what gives me hope.

We seem to live in a world where science is suspect, facts aren't real, and evidence can be made up or ignored, depending upon your whim and/or your motives. I'm hopeful it's just a passing phase, that one day historians will look back upon our time and wonder just what the heck people in the 21st century were smoking. But some days, it's hard to be hopeful. And then there are days like today, when the outpouring of admiration for one of the greatest minds of our generation flows from all corners of the globe. Maybe there is hope after all. Maybe Hawking's passing will give people a chance to stop, take a breath, and realize that the fundamental forces that guide our universe can't be ignored, made up, or changed to fit a political viewpoint.

Well, a boy can dream, right?

The fact that Dr, Hawking died on Pi Day seems to be fitting for an individual who was this generation's Albert Einstein. Maybe his death will now prompt someone from another generation to make the leap and expand our knowledge of the universe (or universes) in which we live.



No comments:

Post a Comment