Friday, March 23, 2018

Friday, 3/23


It's gonna be another one of those days.

Because I have to be at work in a few minutes, then give a tour at 11, then go back to work for a bit, then head out to Art Van for a 4pm live broadcast, I don't have any time to write a blog for today. Yes, I know I'm a horrid human being. No, there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it, at least today. So I'm gonna leave you with something from four and a half years ago, a recipe you might wanna try should you have some time this weekend to play in the kitchen.

With that, I'm off. Something new and unhurried Monday. I promise!


*****

(as originally posted October 1st, 2013)

You know what? I have two things to talk about today, soup and chipmunks, and I don’t know which to discuss. So I’m gonna flip a coin.

No, really. I actually have a quarter in my hand as I type this, and I’m gonna flip it. If it’s heads, I talk soup. If it’s tails, I talk chipmunks. You ready?

(drum roll, please)

Heads it is. So today we’re talking soup. And don’t worry; we’ll get to the chipmunks tomorrow.

Anyway, we’re talking soup today because I occasionally write in here about baking or cooking things, and when I do several of you ask for recipes. So that’s why we’re talking soup today. One of Loraine’s co-workers had grown a bunch of kale in her backyard garden and gave my dear wife a bag of it. Since I’ve never made anything with kale before (although I have eaten it) we decided to try something simple, and make a soup with it. And you know what?

I think it turned out pretty well.

Chop up a cup of carrots and a cup of celery, and throw ‘em in a dutch oven with a couple tablespoons of olive oil. If you want, toss some onion in there, too, and cook until tender. While that’s cooking, cut the kale leaves off the stems, and then cut the leaves into smaller pieces. When the carrots are tender, toss the kale and three cups of stock into the dutch oven and bring to a boil. When it starts boiling, turn the burner off, cover the pan, and let it simmer for three minutes.

Once done simmering, toss a can of black beans, a can of cannelli beans, and a can of white corn in with all the other stuff. Also take another cup of stock and another can of cannelli beans and pulverize them in a food processor. Toss that in the dutch oven, as well, and bring it all to a boil. When it’s boiling, turn the burner off and let the soup sit there, adding half a cup of red white, some cracked black pepper, and, oh, a teaspoon or so of crushed rosemary. Let it sit for five minutes, then ladle it out and enjoy.

Like I said, I’ve never eaten kale as part of a soup before, but I think it mixed quite well with everything else we threw in there. I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t use any other beans instead of the black and cannelli; those were just the kinds we had lying around. I’m sure garbanzo beans would work as well, too. And it makes a lot--we each had a couple of bowlfuls, and there’s still enough for leftovers tonight.

So there you go. . .you wanted a recipe? You got a recipe! Do with it what you will. And make sure you come back tomorrow, because even though they lost the coin toss today, I WILL be discussing chipmunks then!

No comments:

Post a Comment