Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Wednesday, 10/4

I'm gonna miss my auxiliary writing studio.

As you know, I do a lot of writing, both in my personal life and for here at work. I will usually just type away in my office, but there are a couple of months a year when I can head down to my "auxiliary" office and type. Unlike my regular office, which is surrounded by four walls, my auxiliary office has a slightly better view--



One of the (many) joys of working in downtown Marquette is that you're only a few seconds away from Lower Harbor Park. And on the nice days we get between June & September (or, in the case of the year, early October) I will forego the four walls and bring a laptop down to Lower Harbor Park, where I can sit writing away in 80 degree sunshine 40 feet from the greatest of lakes.

A day like that actually makes it worth going to work.

8-)

I wasn't alone yesterday, either, as I sat in the park writing promo copy. It was filled with people picnicking, people running or walking or biking, and people just sitting on the benches, gazing upon the water, and enjoying the precious final few hours of summer.

I'm not surprised, though. People who live here seem to have a built in clock, an alarm that goes off altering them to what might be the final park-worthy day before six to eight month of gloom set in. Maybe "clock" isn't the right word; maybe you just spend enough time up here, and you get this...feeling, I guess, as to when a change is coming and how you really need to take advantage of it.

Which is what everyone was doing yesterday.

So unless something strange happens (and this year, I'm discounting NOTHING) I'm guessing the time I spend in my auxiliary office is coming to an end. I really wish it could have gone on, but I am thankful that I've had the opportunity to use it.

Much like, I'm sure, everyone else in the park was thankful yesterday.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment