Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Wednesday, 10/11

It's a good thing I don't have to work with audio, Otherwise...

Oh, wait. I work in radio. I DO work with audio. That explains the problem.

If I sound weird the next few days (okay, weirder than usual) it's not the fault of your radio, it's the fault of me. A couple of days ago I noticed that during my yearly bout of hay fever, my right ear wasn't working as well as it usually does. That either cleared up or just migrated to the other side of my head, because as I type this I can't hear a thing out of my left ear, although I can feel some sinus pressure in my left Eustachian Tube.

Cool, huh?

I shouldn't say I can't hear a thing; I actually can hear a lot of white noise and, if I move my head just so, can also faintly hear stuff in the background. But for now, it's like I have the world's strongest earplug in my left ear. I know there's sound there, but I can't hear it.

That's a real good trait for someone who spends a chunk of their day editing audio. Really, it is.

While I do suffer from hay fever every fall, I've never had this particular thing happen to me. It's a little disconcerting, especially when I'm trying to listen to audio I'm editing or people talking to me. It doesn't seem to have affected my voice yet, and I'm hoping it doesn't. I'm also hoping it goes away soon; if it doesn't, I may to need to starting learning how to read lips.

And that would not be pretty.

I'm also hoping it doesn't spread to my other ear, especially because that's the ear in which this all began. Having one bad ear is bad enough; I don't even want to ponder what might happen with two bad ones. My usual hay fever medication doesn't seem to have any effect on this situation, and I'm waiting a few days to see what happens before taking any more action. I'm hoping it drains and my hearing comes back soon, otherwise if you see me talking to someone or trying to listen to audio with my head cocked to the right, it's not one of my usual quirks.

It's a new quirk. Because, after all, we need more of those in the world, right?

8-)

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment