Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Tuesday, 10/24

There was one that I knew I wouldn't be able to use.

Over the past few months I've been taking pictures of UP-themed stickers I've seen on cars, leading up to last night's TV piece about showing your UP pride through what you put on your car.  I think in the course of the 2-minute piece I used every single picture I took (and I took a LOT) with one exception.  And after seeing it, you may figure out why it wasn't used--


We actually went back & forth on whether or not it would be suitable for air, but in the end I think we made the right decision.  There's a rule in TV (especially TV news) that you should err on the side of caution, and I think we all knew that, despite the gag value of the sticker, it wouldn't be worth any other kind of reaction we might get.

So it gets to live here, instead.

Because we didn't use it I didn't get to tell the story about how I felt it might be the most appropriate of all the stickers I shot.  After all, I took the picture on one of those rainy days this past August when it was 52 degrees.  And if THAT doesn't epitomize the sentiment the sticker was expressing, I don't know would.

Really, I don't.

Because, as I mentioned last week, TV has a voracious appetite, so I'm already on to next week's piece.  But I thought I would pause for a second to talk about this week's “906”, if only for the sake of a sticker that didn't make the final cut.

8-)

(jim@wmqt.com) 

No comments:

Post a Comment