Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Tuesday, 3/17


And coming from someone who's 12 percent Irish (thanks for the exact number, Ancestry) Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Now do you think we can get him to come back to life and drive the Coronavirus out of the U.S.?

It's just one domino after another, especially following Governor Whitmer's order about the closing of bars & restaurants (at least for dining in) yesterday. I have to admit that I'm amazed by the number of restaurants around Marquette that are still open for take out, delivery, or Doordash, but I'm also kinda wondering how many of my favorite eating places may not make it out of the crisis alive.

As you may know and/or recall, I do a lot of eating out. In fact, just looking at my list (a list I REALLY need to update) of “107 Things to Love About Marquette County” fully a quarter of them are restaurants, bakeries, and other food establishments. What can I say. I live in a place with a lot of amazing food options. It would be a shame not to enjoy them.

Hopefully, I'll still get to enjoy them once the ban (currently at two weeks) is lifted. Knowing several people who own or manage restaurants I know how tight their budgets are and how thin their profit margins can be. And I'm also aware that up to 90% of all food service establishments don't make it. So while I'm hoping all my favorite places will be back and be back soon, I'm also realistic enough to know that one or two of them might not make it.

And that would be a shame.

I keep reminding everyone that in ten years, we'll look back at all this with a little perspective and marvel how we handled everything during an unprecedented time. I just hope that in ten years we're also not looking back with a little sadness at a favorite restaurant or bar that didn't make it.



No comments:

Post a Comment