Friday, March 13, 2020

Friday, 3/13 (!)


The fact blew what little was left of my sanity.

With all this virus hysteria going on right now, I've been doing my part to tell people that the simplest thing you can do to stop the spread of ANY kind of germs is to wash your hands. It's so simple, and it's so effective. I do it myself quite often, and how often do I get sick?

At least (ahem) physically sick?

So I wanted to find a “Weird Fact of the Day” yesterday about hand-washing; specifically, how many times per day the average American does it. It's 8.6 times, if you're curious, which means that in at least one way I'm quite above average. But the fact that accompanied that was the one that blew my mind--

73 million Americans—22 percent of us—don't wash their hands at all. Whatever was on their hands after working, pooping, and touching anything and everything is still on there.

I'll pause here for a moment if you feel the need to dry heave for a second.

22 percent of Americans go from wiping their butts to unwrapping a Twinkie without washing their hands. 22 percent of Americans go from sneezing in their hands to shaking your hand without washing said hand.. 22 percent of Americans go from digging through the garbage to changing a child's diaper without washing their hands.

Now, I'm not a germophobe, nor do I play one on TV, but is it any wonder at all that something like the Coronavirus can spread so quickly? And not just Coronavirus, but the flu, the common cold, and any kind of crud that you can pick up from another person? A little simple personal hygiene could make everyone safer & healthier. It could stop mass cancellations. It could even allow toilet paper to re-appear on store shelves

Any one of those would be preferable to what's going on this week.

So don't be one of the 22%. Wash your hands. Practice good personal hygiene. Don't do stupid things. Be the smart the world needs right now.

And have a great (& peaceful) weekend while you're at it.




No comments:

Post a Comment