Monday, February 3, 2020

Monday, 2/3


I wonder how long it would take.

I wonder how long it would take me to get bored if I didn't have any day-to-day responsibilities like a job or the commitments I have in the community.

I wonder how long it would take.

Don't worry. I'm not quitting my job. I'm not withdrawing from the world to go hide in a cave somewhere. I literally woke up in the middle of the night last night with that thought in my head. If I didn't have anyone to hang out with or anyplace that I had to be at certain, specific times, how long would it take for me to get bored by the whole situation? And what kept me awake was the thought that it might actually take me a while to get bored.

Go figure.

I don't think the thought popped into my head because of a dream or anything. I'm pretty sure the whole thing was a result of this being one of those times when I have an insanely packed schedule and not much of a chance to do anything mindless or inconsequential. It was also probably prompted by the fact that I see social media updates from people who comment that they're just sitting around their house with nothing to do. Part of me has to chuckle; when I get to stretches like I've had the past few weeks with history shows and ski races and TV tapings I would kill to be able to sit around the house like that with nothing to do.

Well, not literally kill, but you get the idea.

I also think my potential level of boredom might be driven by the weather. If I suddenly found myself with no responsibilities and hours of time on my hands during the summer, I would take it and enjoy every single second of it. If it were cold and/or wet & miserable outside, though, I could see my threshold for boredom shrinking just a little But even then I honestly think that it would take me a while. There are many days when the thought of just sitting around and doing nothing sounds really, really appealing.

I'm guessing, though, that it might be one those “grass is greener” situations. Sure, there are days when having absolutely nothing to do sounds amazing. I could sit around, read, take a nap, play outside, take another nap, play outside again, and chill my heart out. But just sitting around and chilling wouldn't allow me to do those amazing things that I get to do with my life. I wouldn't meet cool people and do cool things that not many people get to do. I wouldn't be hosting a TV show. I wouldn't be learning all the stuff about history that I learn. And I certainly wouldn't have the chance to spout off writing these things.

So all in all, I'd much rather be doing what I do now instead of sitting around with absolutely nothing to do. But I do have to admit...the thought of having the chance to test my threshold for boredom does sound, on occasion, like a test I would like to take.



No comments:

Post a Comment