Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Tuesday, 2/11


Wow. The sheer number almost kind of blows my mind.

I spent a little time yesterday taping the wrap-up show for the 42nd season of “High School Bowl”. In my six years of hosting the show it's the earliest we've ever finished a season. Of course, it might also be the first time in 42 years that the show didn't have a single cancellation because of bad weather, so I'm pretty sure that played a huge role in the timeliness. Unlike, say, last year, when we had to cancel six straight shooting dates because of ice and/or cold, and were within one day of having to do a show live on a Saturday night to stay on schedule.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed THAT never happens again.

Anyway, while I was sitting there waiting to start I began to think. And that, as we all know, can be a dangerous thing. But maybe not in this instance. Having hosted the show for six years now, that means I've done 120 hours of the series. Each hour has two games. If you subtract the six “year in review” shows from the mix, that means I've how hosted 234 games of “High School Bowl”.

234 games. Maybe one of these days I'll even get it right.

8-)

I personally can't believe it's been that many games. The science, though, is 100% correct. And if there's one thing I've learned doing 234 games is that science is always right. Of course, I'm also having a little trouble grasping the concept I've been doing the show for six years now, as it seems like it's been, at most, a year or two. But six?

Once again, the science doesn't lie.

I am, however, still saying the same things about the show that I said after hosting the first few, foremost among them that the kids who take part are smart. I mean, they're really, really smart. I'd like to think I know a little something after all the decades I've accumulated, but if we were being honest I only know the answers to maybe a third of the questions I ask. The rest I just sound like I know what I'm talking about. But some of the young people who've come through the show the answer to every single thing I've asked. And if they don't know it outright, they're able to infer what the answer might be. And they're doing this at the age when (joke coming here) I was still learning to feed myself.

They're that smart.

Now that production of season 42 is in the books we've already started talking about season 43, what we hope to accomplish, and any changes that might need to be made. And I'm sure that twelve or thirteen months from now, I'll be sitting here and wondering to myself how it is that I'll have done 140 hours—273 games—of a TV show that I thought I had just started hosting a few months prior.



No comments:

Post a Comment