Monday, February 24, 2020

Monday, 2/24

Nothing good ever comes from a Friday night phone call.

Whenever my phone rings on a Friday night and I see it's someone from work, I tense up a little on the inside. It means that something has gone wrong. It means that the sporting event we're carrying on our ESPN station isn't going well, or it means that our antenna has blown up and we'll be at 1 percent power for the next five months. So when my phone rang at 9:24 pm last Friday, I knew it probably wasn't good news.

And it wasn't.

The hard drive on the computer that puts everything on the air died, which means that we had nothing on the air. Thankfully, we have a bit of a backup system in another one of our studios, so after an hour or so of frantic work I was able to get music back on the air, and after most of a weekend of work (aside, of course, from joining Loraine at one of the greatest events to which one can ever attend, yesterday's SAIL Chocolate Festival) you couldn't tell by listening we had a dead hard drive.

At least I hope you couldn't tell.

Because it was part of an old computer system, we had to get someone who knew what they were talking about to get it back up to speed; thankfully, whatever they did seems to be working for now (knock on wood). Until they fixed our machine, we spent the weekend playing music and the like out of a production studio. Since we were trying to keep the radio experience as normal as possible, we were also taking phone calls and doing everything we normally do. But because our production studio isn't set up to do that, we had to do something like this when doing a contest--

Announce we're doing the contest in the production studio.

Run down the hall to the air studio, take the phone call, and record it.

Run back to the production studio, call up the phone call sound file from our network, and play it

Fun, huh? And when I spoke with someone from Weatherology about the weather I had to do the exact same thing, except for the fact that I had a 30 second window in which I had to start a commercial, run down the hall, call them, and start talking. Then while they were wrapping up the forecast at the end, I had to run back down the hall to the other studio and start the next element when they were finished.

Good thing I'm in shape, huh?

Thankfully, this was just a temporary thing. But over the weekend if you heard something weird, it wasn't the fault of your radio.

It was because of a Friday night phone call.



No comments:

Post a Comment