Monday, February 10, 2020

Monday, 2/10


You know, they’re the gloves charged with getting me through an Upper Michigan winter. I should probably take better care of them.

Because I do a lot of walking in the winter, I always make sure I have a good pair of gloves. I make sure they’re Thinsulated yet not so bulky that they impair my fingers. I trust me gloves to keep me warm yet keep me functional on those cold winter days when I have to trudge to work and back.

So you think I’d take good care of those gloves, right? Oh, c’mon; you know better than that. I’ve had this...habit recently of misplacing the gloves I with which I trust my hands. I have lost them in a grocery store, I have left them backstage at Kaufman, I have misplaced them on a city street, I have left them in an office, and I’ve even left them on the roof of a car. But you know what? I also seem to find them again. Those gloves must be like one of those dogs that’ll travel cross-country to become reunited with their owner.

Those gloves just don’t want to leave me!

And I don’t want them to leave me, either. I mean, like I said, they’re good gloves, and they’ve been protecting my hands during this very weird winter, a winter during which the first two months were 20 degrees below average and a winter where the past month and a half have been 10 degrees above average. No matter, what, though, I accept all blame for the torture I’ve put them through; mostly, it’s because I’ll stick them half hanging out of a jacket pocket, which causes them to fall out in a grocery store, backstage at Kaufman, while I’m walking home, or in someone’s office. It’s not the fault of the gloves; as with many things, it’s my own stupidity that causes me to almost lose them.

Luckily I’ve always realized I’ve misplaced the gloves before it’s been too late to backtrack to try & find them. Sometimes it’s taken time to find them (time I never seem to have) but I always do come to their rescue. You’d think that after a while I’d realize that, just perhaps, my jacket pocket isn’t the best place to keep them. After all, they keep falling out whenever I put them in there. But no. I’m either too lazy or too stupid to actually put them somewhere where they won’t fall out. Heck, maybe I’m self-sabotaging; after all, we all know I don’t like winter. Maybe my twisted psyche figures that if it gets rid of the gloves it’ll get rid of winter. I mean, my conscious mind knows that’s not true, but you never know what you’ll find in my sub-conscious mind.

Most days, in fact, I don’t even wanna go down there!!

So if you see a pair of small Thinsulated black gloves with a Champion logo on the street in the next few weeks, laugh to yourself a little bit. Not only will you know who lost the gloves, but you’ll also know that he’s not yet learned his lesson that he shouldn’t keep them in his jacket pockets!!



No comments:

Post a Comment