Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Wednesday, 2/26


I wonder how many other things I've totally forgotten about?

I've been doing this job forever, and during that epoch-spanning time I've done a lot of things on the air. So I'm not surprised that I would've forgotten one or two or all of them, something that popped to the fore last week when we played Michael Jackson's “Black Or White” during our “Throwback Thursday”.

Namely, it made me wonder—whatever happened to the parody version of the song I did when it first came out?

Why did I do a parody version of it, you ask? Well, I answer, because when we received the CD single of the song there was an instrumental version of it, and because Michael Jackson was, you know, Michael Jackson, I wrote lyrics for a tune called “Me or Mike”, in which Mr. Jackson wasn't sure if he were himself or an evil version of himself called “Mike”.

Sadly, I think we learned the answer to that a few years later.

I remember nothing about the song except the title and the first two lines--

“My best friend Bubbles told me I was a flake
I didn't listen that was my big mistake”

And that's it. I know I put it together and I aired it a bunch when the song was popular, but whatever happened to it after that, I have no idea. If the master tape of it still existed, I'm guessing it was tossed out when we moved the station to Marquette. I know it was done on a four track recorder, so even if the master still existed I would have no way to play it. After all, audio tape recording like that is, what? Two or three generations of recording medium old?

Yes, I'm a dinosaur. What's your point?

How many more things like that that I've totally forgotten were tossed aside, either physically or mentally? I have no idea. I know that there must be a lot. But maybe, just maybe, that could be taken as a good thing. If nothing else, maybe that means that I've had such a fun and creatively fulfilling career that I can't even remember all the cool stuff I've done. I know that every so often I see someone who mentioned a remote I did or a contest they won, and I don't recall it at all. But like I said, maybe that's a good thing. If nothing else, it means that I've been a lucky person in my chosen field.

Even if I've forgotten half of what I've done.


No comments:

Post a Comment