Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Wednesday, 2/12


I don’t know how the conversation started, but the gist of it was this--

“You mean you actually still think about work AFTER you leave for the night?”

That feeling was expressed by someone who’ll remain nameless. It stunned her that my mind is always “on” as far as ideas and thoughts go, just as it stunned me that there are people who leave work for the day and don’t give it a second thought.

This person and I were discussing what we do on winter weekends, and I was explaining to her how, among the many things I have going on, I might spend a small chunk of a winter evening or a weekend writing a blog or two, or come up with a few things I might want to mention on air, or flesh out the details of something we have coming up in the future. During the summer, not so much because I'm playing outside, but the winter?

Sure.

Now, why do I think about the aforementioned things on the weekends or at night after I'm off the air? Well, there aren’t as many distractions, I’m not worried about being on the air, and I can just let my mind “wander” into some strange (and occasionally interesting) corners. She just couldn’t comprehend that; in fact, she said that if she had to think about work outside the 40 hours per week for which she gets paid, she’d go “crazy”. For me, I think it would be the opposite.

Like most people, I use the weekends to “recharge” myself, but maybe I recharge something different. The person with whom I was having this conversation admitted that she doesn’t like her job; it doesn’t stimulate her, and it’s basically doing the same thing day in and day out. I’ve had jobs like that before. I know that if your job sucks, you need to use the weekend to recharge your mind, to get it ready to face another week of the “same old same old”. I use the weekends to recharge my supply of ideas. I’m VERY fortunate in that I have a job that I like, a job that stimulates me, and a job that’s never the same day in and day out. I always get to branch out in different directions, and I never know quite what to expect when I start a new week. So if a thought or an idea happens to pop into my mind while I’m running, or reading a newspaper, or at the grocery store, or cooking dinner, or watching “Star Trek: Discovery” on Blu-ray, I embrace it. After all, you never know where the next cool concept may come from.

I suppose it’s nice for some people to have “work” time and “me” time, and not have the two overlap. For me, those two “times” are just part of who I am. If something good for work pops up when I’m not at work, I embrace it, the same way I’ll take off from work for a few hours on those days when it’s 80 and sunny and the beach is calling my name. I’m lucky in that I can do that. And I know I’m lucky, too.

Oh, and this particular blog? In the interest of full disclosure, I came up with the idea for it on Sunday afternoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment