Thursday, February 13, 2020

Thursday, 2/13


I wonder if I would look any younger.

I wrote about a strange conversation I had yesterday. And just a couple of hours after that, I found myself involved in another one. My brother had stopped by and was in the midst of Facetiming daily blog reader Darlene of Melbourne Beach, Florida. Somehow, the conversation turned to gray hair, and my brother was shocked—shocked--when he found out that daily blog reader Darlene was the only person who voted “yes” six years ago when I wondered if I should color my hair before starting to host “High School Bowl”.

Her rationale? “I'm too young to have a son on TV with gray hair”. Given my family's phobia about aging, I understand it. My brother didn't quite understand it, but at the time I did, even if I had to laugh about it.

Anyway, while we were talking about it again yesterday my mom made a new point, in that I have a “young looking” face and that the gray hair detracts from it. Her argument's sound; while I myself am not a big fan of my gray hair I've always thought that the good genes I inherited from daily blog reader Darlene made up for it. But over the past couple of years, as the graying of my head has advanced, I've started to wonder once again.

Should I get rid of the gray?

I try not to be vain. Really, I don't. But sometimes I look at myself on TV (which is not my favorite thing in the world to begin with) and wonder how different I'd look with my hair the color it was 20 years ago. I mean, I know you can't turn back time; trust me, I KNOW that. But would I shave a couple of years off my appearance if my hair was the dark brown it used to be instead of the gray mixed with dark brown it is now? Would the different hair color allow me to pull off wearing certain colors that might not look as good as they would now?

Or would I just look like a vain dork fighting a losing battle in trying to turn back the clock?

As with most decisions in my life, I'm gonna put it off as long as possible. But it is something I suppose I should ponder. And as with most decisions in my life I'll try to gather as much information as possible, including the opinions of as many people as possible. So if you have a thought on the matter, let me know. I'm probably too close to the subject, and a few outside observations are always welcome.

Of course, I already know what daily blog reader Darlene in Melbourne Beach, Florida thinks.

8-)


No comments:

Post a Comment