Friday, February 7, 2020

Friday, 2/7


It's been two weeks. I suppose I should follow up on my promise, shouldn't I?

Two weeks ago I said that I would have more to write about the “North/South” show Jack & I did at Kaufman. We're both still hearing great things from people about the show, which I know we both appreciate. And we're in discussions to do it again this summer.

I'll let you know if that comes to fruition.

Anyway, today's the perfect day to talk about the story that may have gotten the biggest laugh the entire night. Jack had put together an amazing story about the Palestra; in fact, he was even one of the final people to ever play hockey there. He did it because the only Palestra story I really have to tell occurred right as the building was bring torn down--



My dad's friend Tony DePetro took that picture, and after taking it Tony, who's from North Marquette, decided my dad, who's from South Marquette, needed a souvenir of the building. That's why when we woke up the next morning there was a urinal in our driveway.

Don't believe me?



The way I told the story lead to a big laugh, but it wasn't the biggest laugh of the night. Nope; that occurred almost as an aside, when I reminded people who had been on the South Marquette walking tour last summer about my dad's, well, proclivity for injuring himself. My dad told many of the stories himself, while I just kept cracking about how it was a good thing he lived long enough to had kids.

Anyway, to prove the point, I reminded everyone who was on the tour about my dad's story. And then I pointed out something they may not have noticed about the picture. My dad's in a neck brace--



It took a second, but once everyone put two & two together the place erupted. It was one of those gags I couldn't have planned—after all, I just received the picture the day before the show—but the way it played out was just priceless. And, looking back, I kinda wish my dad could've been there for it, because he probably would've gotten the biggest laugh out of anyone at Kaufman.

Alas, Chicky-poo's in Florida, like he is every winter. And the reason I wanted to tell this particular story today is because it's his birthday. That's right...the guy who broke his arm ski jumping at Chipmunk Bluff, the guy who almost decapitated himself sledding down Genessee Street hill, and the guy who's wearing a neck brace while standing next to a urinal has survived another trip around the sun.

I know I couldn't be happier about that. And I'm guessing the urinal, if it's still buried in the yard next to my parents' old house, feels the same.

So happy birthday, Dad. Have a great day in the sun biking and/or playing pickleball or whatever you end up doing. Just make sure you don't end up in another neck brace because of it!

Love,


No comments:

Post a Comment