Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Tuesday, 2/25


It’s been HOW many miles??

I'm sure I've written about this before, and if it seems familiar and/or boring, I apologize. But now that the streets & sidewalks of Marquette are rapidly losing their snow earlier that usual, I've started to think that pretty soon I should break out a new pair of running shoes. Why is that a big deal?

Well, around this time of the year, or at least this time of the year when the snow begins to melt, I do that. You’re supposed to change your running shoes every 500 or so miles, and if you figure that I run 10 or 12 or so miles a week (sometimes more, sometimes less) then I need a new pair approximately once every year. And since I don’t want to take brand-new running shoes out in the snow and the muck (you know, like the months of October through (usually) March or April around here), I usually wait until the snow & the gunk is gone and then switch the shoes out. And that's crossed my mind this weekend (after all, I needed something OTHER that dead computers to think about)

But that’s really neither here nor there. Here’s actually what here or there--I started running when I moved back to Marquette in 1988. That’s been 32 (yikes!) years. If I run on average, and we're averaging low here, 10 miles a week, that’s 520 (or so) miles a year. And if I’ve been doing that for over 32 years now, you know what that means?

I have run, in my life, almost 17,000 miles. I have now run almost halfway around the Earth.

My feet hurt just typing that!

16,640 (to be specific) miles in 32 years. Wow. And you know what’s scary? There are SO many people who’ve run further than I in the last three (and counting) decades that it boggles the mind. I mean, I’m just a recreational runner. There are people out there who’ll do 500 miles in a month, and don’t even break a sweat. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to do that.

I don’t remember most of the 16,640 miles I’ve run, mostly because my mind is occupied with thoughts other than running while I’m out running, but there are several jaunts that definitely stick in my head, and probably will forever. One would be the three miles I ran by myself, early one Saturday morning, in September, 2004, through the winding and narrow streets of Bayeux, France. Another would be a VERY sticky & sweaty 8 miles in Marquette back in ’08 or ’09, one of my long, meandering Saturday runs when it was 80 degrees at 8 in the morning. I just loved the thought of it being that warm that early. And a third might be a couple of years ago when we were visiting Loraine's parents, I went out running, and found myself getting caught in a massive thunderstorm that almost turned into a tornado.

Trust me--you DON’T forget runs like that, even after racking up almost 17,000 miles.

I supposed I should set a goal of running at least 25,000 miles in my life, so I can say (at least in jest) that I’ve run around the world. So far, it’s taken me 32 years to get two-thirds of the way there. I still plan on running for another 32 years, so I suppose the goal is possible. We’ll just have to see if my feet, my knees, and the new shoes I should start using for the first time hold out.

Wish me luck!!


No comments:

Post a Comment