Thursday, February 21, 2019

Thursday, 2/21


Now I can tell you the secret.

Remember how I told you I had to write a speech over the weekend, and then give it last night, even though I couldn't tell anyone why? Since it's happened. I can now spill the beans. Last night, I was given the Helen Longyear Paul Award by the Marquette Regional History Center for, basically, walking around and talking about hookers & old buildings.

I guess they ran out of deserving people to whom to give the award.

When I found out I was being given the award last week I literally scoffed at the idea, which probably wasn't quite what they expected. To put me in the same league as everyone from Fred Rydholm to Frank Matthews to Fred Stonehouse to Loraine Koski (all past winners of the award) strikes me as strange. I mean, those people are all heavyweights in the local history field.

I just crack bad jokes.

I'm not big on getting praise or recognition for what I do. I do it because I enjoy it, and because I want to do it. I'm not looking for a pat on the back or a participation trophy. I'm just trying to do my part. And that's why I get a little uncomfortable and start joking about things when something like this award comes up. To me, at least, it's not that big of a deal. But I've also come to know that for the people who pass out the praise or give out the awards it IS a big deal. They're trying to show their appreciation for whatever's been done, and I get that. And while I don't think it's necessary, I guess it is actually kinda cool to be honored like this.

And that's why I made my little speech last night.

In it, I mentioned a line I use at the beginning of every tour or program I do, and that's that I don't know everything. It's true; even the best research can leave vital information uncovered, and it actually gets to the heart of why I enjoy doing this stuff so much. After every tour or every program I'll get people coming up to me and letting me know a story I've not yet heard, or correcting a story I'd previously been told. That's why I do all this stuff for the History Center—so I can share what I know, and so that I can learn stuff that I'd not previously known.

The award is nice, but the knowledge I gain is even better.

So that's what I've been working on the past week. They wanted to keep the award recipients a secret, and I was more than happy to honor that request. So the next time you see me leading a tour throughout downtown Marquette, you can tell yourself it's being led by a (reluctant) award winner.

But an award winner who's looking to gain a few more stories to tell himself.




No comments:

Post a Comment