Thursday, February 14, 2019

Thursday, 2/14


Consider this the calm AFTER the storm--



I took that picture at work yesterday during the brief window of sunshine following the dumping of 22 inches of snow between Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning. That's right; after I mentioned yesterday we had 16 inches of snow another half foot fell in a few hours.

Ah...just a typical day in the U.P, right?

Maybe I shouldn't have been too surprised, but once the snow stopped the speed with which it was removed from streets was astounding. I know I kinda complained about having to run in streets that weren't yesterday. If I had waited a few more hours to write it I would've written it up quite differently. By noon all the streets, at least here in Marquette, were cleaned, and by mid-afternoon the snowbanks, some of which were over six feet tall, were being cut down.

I know we brag about this place a lot, for various reasons, but after a storm like this how we do snow removal should really be near the top of the list.

Of course, the ironic part of it is that workers spent all day yesterday removing snow from downtown Marquette, only to have to turn around and dump it all back on the streets tomorrow for the beginning of the U.P. 200. If Mother Nature REALLY wanted to help out, she could've given us this snow Thursday night. But no...we got it all 48 hours too early, just a long enough gap to have to remove it all before hauling it back in.

Oh well; that's the way 2019 has been, at least so far.

With any luck, the next one of these you read will be about how I'm heading to a TV studio to actually shoot an episode of “High School Bowl”, unencumbered by cold or ice storms or a record-setting 22 inches of snow. Keep your fingers crossed!



No comments:

Post a Comment