Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Tuesday, 12/5

I've been doing it for years, and NOW you're just noticing?

It's been a busy few weeks in Jim-Land, and because of that I find myself dressing up a lot, which is not a surprise when you're on TV three times a week (at least as I have been since the beginning of November). After all, you either want or need to look nice, and I try my best.

It's not always possible, but I try.

Anyway, since the beginning of last month, the period in which I've been dressing up more than usual, I've had a bunch of people make pretty much the same comment to me--”you get dressed up to be the radio?”, like it's a weird thing, or something. I mean, just because no one can see me some people assume I look like a slob?

I mean, there are many days when I DO look like a slob, but besides the point. Is there a reason I can't get dressed up? For as long as I can remember, I've always put in a jacket and tie at least once a week, just because. Even during Covid, when I was the only one at work and the rest of the world was locked in, I still wore a jacket & die one day a week.

After all, a world-wide pandemic doesn't mean you still can't look good, right?

But yet, there is (apparently) quite a large group of people out there who are shocked by that fact. I'm guessing that's because they've met other radio workers whose style of dress must have made an impression on them. And because of that, they assume everyone who works in radio has the same sense of style.

I, however, am here to say that's a false assumption. You CAN work in radio and not be a slob, and you can do it even if you're not doing TV at the same time. All it takes is a willingness to do it, a style of sense, and, perhaps, an ability to flaunt the expected norm.

(jim@wmqt.com), flaunting the expected norm.

No comments:

Post a Comment