Thursday, December 28, 2023

Thursday, 12/28

Believe it or not, it wasn't the first time I've received a message that starts, and I'm quoting here, “You know you're weird, right?”

Personally, I guess I'm better with “out of the ordinary”, but weird will do, too.

The Facebook message came to me Monday night from someone with whom I have a passing acquaintance. They saw me running Christmas morning; more specifically, they noticed something I've been doing recently. You see, when you play soccer, sometimes you have to run backwards. I find the more you do it, the better you get. And since I always like to challenge myself in weird out of the ordinary ways, I've taken to, on occasion, running backwards on uphill sidewalks in downtown Marquette. It challenges your balance, uses muscles that (trust me on this) you never use running like a normal person up a sidewalk, and, well, can shake you out of a routine.

And that's why I've taken to doing it.

Apparently, though, there aren't a lot of people who will run backwards up downtown Marquette sidewalks, and even fewer people who will run backwards up sidewalks in downtown Marquette while spending their life in the public eye and have a Facebook account that allows people to message them to let them know they're, you know, weird out of the ordinary.

In fact, if there's anyone else in that subset OTHER than me, I'm giving this whole thing up.

So, if you happen to be driving around downtown Marquette some morning soon and see some dork running backwards up a hill, I'm pretty much guessing it'll be me. And yes, I know I'm weird out of the ordinary.  But if you feel like you need to let me know in a note or a Facebook message, feel free.

8-)

*****

Speaking of downtown hills, for those of you keeping track at home here's what our snow cover looks like, at least as of yesterday afternoon.



I'm now starting to wonder if we'll make it through January without anything coming out of the sky. The way it's going, you never know!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment